Female Care and Connections Pastor Parkville
About St Jude’s
St Jude’s is an evangelical Anglican church in inner Melbourne, welcoming all kinds of people:young and old, families and singles, students and workers, internationals and locals. We currently worship in six congregations. We are a contemporary church that takes both the Bible and the world seriously and reformed evangelical theology is very much part of our DNA.
Our vision is to be a church for the whole person, the whole community, the whole city and the whole world. More about our church can be found on our website: www.stjudes.org.au
St Jude’s Parkville
St Jude’s in Parkville is a ministry focussed on professional workers, families, children, students and urban dwellers in the inner northern parts of Melbourne helping them to grow inChristian maturity, and to serve Christ in their lives. With our goal of “Thinking Faith, Loving Community” we are seeking to make life changing connections with people in the workplace and in the local communities of Parkville, Brunswick and surrounding suburbs.
We also want to find ways to develop a missional mindset among the members of these congregations, so that they are effective missionaries in the world. This will mean the need for development of workplace mission strategies and training in evangelism and workplace ministry, as well as missional engagement in the urban life of a large cosmopolitan city.
St Jude’s in Parkville is currently made up of two congregations – 10am which consists of singles, couples and families (120 average attendance which includes a large number of children/youth) and 5pm mainly focussing on singles & couples (60 average attendance).
The Care and Connections Pastor will work with the Parkville Senior Associate Minister, other staff and lay leadership to oversee the care and follow up of the Parkville congregations with a particular focus on female members, the connection and integration of newcomers, and the community life of the Parkville congregations. They will think theologically about their role and ministry, have excellent personal and relational skills, but also have the ability to raise up, organise and train members and leaders, and build appropriate systems to maintain and grow these ministries. The successful applicant will be working with a committed team in this ministryand will serve within the parameters of the St. Jude’s Code of Conduct and the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne Safe Ministry protocols and codes of conduct.
The Care and Connections Pastor will have oversight of:
- Welcome, follow up, connection and integration of newcomers into the congregation
- Follow up and pastoral care of members, particularly women
- Community life (congregational lunches etc.)
- Teaching and discipling
The Care and Connections Pastor will also perform other tasks as a member of the Parkville and wider St. Jude’s staff team.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- A deep prayerfulness and personal godliness
- Humility and graciousness in relationships with others
- Genuine concern for, and willingness to serve others
- An ability to think theologically about their role and ministry
- Energy for the role and a willingness to work hard
- Be empathetic and a good listener
- Perseverance in the face of challenge
- Well-developed emotional intelligence with an ability to read interpersonal situations
- Capacity to work cooperatively with others
- Be proactive in both taking advantage of new opportunities and addressing challenges
- An ability to work independently to ensure that responsibilities are met
- An awareness of one’s own spiritual and emotional needs
- A commitment to discipling others and equipping them for service
- Training and experience in a relevant field (e.g. social work, counselling, theology etc.)
- Demonstrated excellence in relational and pastoral skills
- Demonstrated ability to build teams and systems
- Demonstrated ability to organise, train and equip others
- An ability to connect people with appropriate external services and resources
- Current Working with Children Check and Policy Check
- Theological training
Conditions of Employment
- This is a part time position (2-4 days to be negotiated)
- The position is available now.
- The appointment is for an initial period of three years (with a possibility of an extension)
- There is a probation review at the end of twelve months.
- St Jude’s allows five weeks (pro rata) annual leave;
An application should include:
- A letter addressing the position description
- A Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- The names and contact details of at least three referees
Previous applicants need not apply.
These should then be posted or emailed (preferred) by May 12th to Rev. Michael Phillips:
12 Batman St
WEST MELBOURNE Vic 3003
p: 0435 170 900